How important are head-shots today? I would say very important.
We are living in changing times where employers will look you up on-line instead of just simply reading that CV you posted, the world is a visual place and we all must be ready for it.
A good head shot is as important to the average person than it is to an actor or business person and can set you apart from the rest. You will find that head-shots are required today for may uses/reasons.
Social Media Profiles.
Portfolio for performers.
Corporate & Business.
Once you have selected your head shot photographer you will need to be prepared for the session. Below are a few tips for you to help.
- Get a good night's sleep before your head shot session. It will help keep your skin and eyes clean and bright.
- Avoid the cocktails and stay hydrated.
- Decide on the look that you want. This could be to fit the company brand, your new look or a new role you are going for. A head shot taken in studio will look different than one taken on location using natural light.
- Consider the background and final use.
White background - Simple and clean.
Grey Background - Clean and timeless.
Colour to fit a brand.
- Do you require your images in colour, black & white or a mix of both. What is the final use? A casting director might stipulate certain things which means you will have to get head shots that fit those stipulations.
- Format. Do you want the images in portrait or landscape orientation? Do you need both.
- If you are an actor check with your casting agent what style and format they are looking for.
- Take a few changes of clothing with you. Shirts, Ties etc. Make sure you feel comfortable.
- Ask questions. Most photographers will sit down and chat with you either over the phone or by meeting before the session to find out exactly what you are looking for and expecting.
- Printing. Let the photographer know if you are planning to print the images and if you know what the print size is. This will allow them to adjust how the images are shot so they will work for the print format.
As a photographer, myself I understand it can be daunting in-front of a camera so I take time to talk to clients before we start the session, this conversation continues throughout to not only relax you but to get to know you and get the best head shot we can.
Remember a great head shot can help elevate your profile on-line and in business today.
If you are looking to update your head shot I can help. Please take a look at my head shot gallery and also consider a head shot day I am running on May 12th 2017.
Thank you for reading.